Sunday, January 24, 2010

Motherhood in Six Stanzas

While preparing for a case conference today, I dug through a big stash of articles from graduate school...and I was surprised to find this poem at the beginning of one of them. I thought I'd share it with you.

The Impostor

I am a mother
although I have
this nightmare
that one of these days
someone will ask
to see my credentials.

I am a mother of two
although sometimes
they look at me
accusingly
because there are not enough hours
in my day.

I am a mother
although for the life of me
I don't know how to handle
their fits
much less mine.

I am a mother
who still needs mothering
and sometimes resents her mother
because she has to mother my father.

I am a fatherless mother
who has to wear two hats
but never quite knows when
to wear which one.

I am a mother
who doesn't know how she got here
and sometimes
thank god it's only sometimes
wishes she could resign.

-Suzana Cabanas

2 comments:

  1. Indeed thank God it's only sometimes. I wanted to resign today as the gooey, mystery "snow" was cascading onto my floor after I had repeatedly said, "don't play with that in the house......"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, GTM! That story totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete