Thursday, January 21, 2010

Birth of a Mother

I have been reading a book by Daniel Stern called "The Birth of a Mother." Daniel Stern is a psychiatrist who works with parents and infants, who writes extensively about this work, and who is a major professional inspiration to me.

In "The Birth of a Mother", Dr. Stern writes about the phases women go through as they enter into motherhood. During pregnancy, he writes, women spend a great deal of time fantasizing about their baby--the kind of child it will be, the role it will play, and the relationship it will have to her. (Of course, this is all fantasy, and eventually the real baby will replace the fantasy baby in the mother's mind, if all goes well.)

According to Dr. Stern, these are some common baby roles/identities expectant moms imagine:

-The baby will be a giver of unconditional love
-The baby could be a replacement for a deceased love one
-The baby might be expected to be an antidepressant
-The mother may wish to fulfill her own dreams vicariously through the baby
-The baby could be expected to be the glue that holds the parents' marriage together
-The mother may worry that the father will experience the baby as his competitor for his wife's attention/affection
-The baby will enable the parents to become the perfect family
-The mother may worry that her baby will perpetuate particular flaws that run in the family
-The baby can be seen as a gift from the husband, from medical science, or from God
-The baby may be expected to contribute to the upward social mobility of the family, especially when the parents are emigrants
-Mothers may also imagine that their baby will be the family conciliator who will bridge interpersonal divides and repair damaged relationships among family members
-Babies are also sometimes expected to carry on the family traditions in terms of work, education, status, etc

Reading Dr. Stern's categories made me aware that in my first pregnancy, I had hoped my baby would be a "dream fulfiller" as well as the "family conciliator." First, I had wanted him to be a girl, since girls are scarce in my husband's family--so I thought having a daughter would endear me to my in-laws. I also wanted a daughter so that I could experience the loving mother-daughter relationship I never had with my own mother but had yearned for. Learning that I was having a son simultaneously shattered both of those fantasies (and even more so when I found out my second baby was another son, since we were stopping at two).

After I had embraced the gender of my baby, though, I began to imagine that he would be the magnet that would finally draw my family together. And, more than that, he would help me to build closer relationships with my husband's family. But--once he was born--it was clear that no baby could work these kind of interpersonal miracles. And it was too much to ask of him. Over time, I had to let go of my wishes and accept the reality my baby and of motherhood, with all of its beauty, wonder, pain, and fatigue.

And now, as I reflect on this, I am completely amazed by the mental work that women do as they become mothers. Really--becoming a mother is the most maturing experience a woman can have.

I wonder--do any of these fantasy-baby categories sound familiar to you? Do you remember how you reconciled your fantasy baby with your real-life baby? If so, did it require a lot of mental effort, or was it instantaneous and natural?

4 comments:

  1. I love reflecting. The older my twins get, the further, of course, their babydom is away from me, and the cloudier my memories are. I remember my pregnancy being all about me and setting up our house for them. Dr. Stearn's categories never even entered my mind. But now, as I reflect on them, I sincerely thought that the babies would unconditionally love me and that they would complete the dreamy true love story that I never thought I'd have. Needless to say, there are times when motherhood is beyond what I feel prepared for, but overall, it's the best. I think I will forever be trying to reconcile the fantasy baby/child with the reality. Thanks for making me think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see either of my two baby fantasies. One was that the baby would release me from my obligation to work. The second was that the baby would be an excuse to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I fall into any specific category, but more along a blending of lots of them. What I've learned since the pregnancy is that I'm happiest when I let Bean show me who she is, instead of me trying to dictate that to her. At almost 2-years-old it's still a pretty fluid concept, but every day she's becoming more of a through-and-through *person*.

    And also: Swistle always makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is very interesting. I have a number of friends who are "older" and who have had undergone numerous procedures - mostly IVF - to get pregnant. Because my friends took many years to get pregnant, they fantasized constantly about what their babies would be like, and how perfect their lives would be once they got pregnant. Each and every one of them suffered from PPD after having babies, the reality being so far from the fantasy.

    ReplyDelete