Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fly Away Home

Last night, I was at a local bookstore browsing in the children's section for a book for my 5-year-old, when I came across a book called "Fly Away Home." The cover showed a boy and his dad at an airport.

I thought the book would be about a boy taking a plane trip with his dad.

It's not.

It's about a homeless boy and his dad who live at the airport.

The story is written from the young boy's perspective. In the book, the boy describes his life with his father--trying to exist in a city airport, unnoticed. He tells us about their daily routine of careful maneuvering around the airport, using the bathrooms to get clean, eating at the various food stands, sleeping sitting up in chairs, and generally trying to blend in with the crowds so as not to get kicked out. He also mentions times when his dad seems upset and exasperated while trying to find a job and a stable home for himself and his child.

There are many amazing things about this sad tale, but I was mostly struck by the happy tone of the homeless boy. Clearly he wants a home, but he also seems to feel safe with the routine he has with his dad. His father can't afford to pay rent, but has found a safe alternative and has used skillful planning to keep them from getting caught and evicted. As a result, the boy knows that he is cared for. He knows that he means something great to his struggling father. And, even though they are homeless, he thrives under his father's wing.

Of course, as a parent, I instantly connected with the father's point-of-view. I can't imagine what it would be like to be unable to provide basic necessities for my children. But, then again, this boy shows the reader that what really matters most is caring guidance and love. And in this story, the father is able to give these things...which is really an unbelievable feat for a parent under tremendous stress. (Yes, I know this is just a story...)

I might go back to get the book. I don't know if I want to read it to my 5-year-old son just yet, but I might want to re-read it myself from time-to-time, as a reminder to appreciate the great things I have in life.

2 comments:

  1. That books sounds so depressing...wow, sure isn't published by Disney! hahah..however, nothing like a good dose of someone else's reality to remind us how AWESOME we have it.

    ReplyDelete