Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Here Comes the Fall

My older son is starting Kindergarten in 2 weeks. My toddler is starting 2 days of preschool in 2 weeks. They are starting on the same day...each one in a new school, each one with his own excitement mixed with separation anxiety. The schools are just one block away from each other, and they have the exact same spring breaks. In each of these schools will be my boys, each entering a new phase-of-life, each growing more independent by the day.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to arrange school drop-offs and pick-ups, combined with childcare for when they're not in school, combined with my (somewhat flexible) work schedule, combined with GEH's schedule...in short, I have been coordinating 5 schedules for the fall. And I am mentally exhausted.

I have spent the last few days suddenly realizing that times are changing. My boys are growing, developing, reaching new milestones. With their growth and development comes more freedom for me (yay) but more distance from them (oh, no!). I don't know how I will manage all of these schedules logistically, but, more importantly, I don't know how I will manage the changes emotionally. For years, all I wanted was my freedom back...now it is closer, and I want my babies back (or do I?).

No comments:

Post a Comment