Sunday, February 6, 2011

Trusting Myself

Wow. Really? May 10th? 2010? That was my last post?
Jesus.
What happened to me?
It's hard to say. Or, rather, it's hard to sum up. I guess the bottom line is that life has been kicking my ass...and I am finally starting to kick back.

One of my patients recently gave me a book called "Trusting Yourself."

I love it when people give me unexpected books...usually there is some important message in it for me. And when a patient gives me a book, it is even more meaningful--since they are often also handing me a piece of themselves.

What is especially cool about reading this book is that I can see why I needed to read it. For me. And for my patient. I'm learning about us both.

I am someone who has always felt self-assured. But recently--over the past few years I guess, and especially the past year--I have felt more self-doubt than before. Doubt about myself as a mother and a wife. Doubt about myself as a friend. Doubt about myself as a professional. Doubt about myself in just about any area... This kind of self-doubt can become toxic...it can lead to self-pity, which is something I hate, but often find great comfort in.

So the book, "Trusting Yourself," was a timely gift. Because, really, trusting ourselves is our main challenge in life. Trust that you know what is right for you. Trust that you have what it takes to get where you need to go. Trust that you will be ok. Trust that you are good, through-and-through. And when you fail, trust that you will learn and will do better the next time.

If we could trust ourselves, in all areas of our lives, just imagine how free we would feel. Trusting ourselves, and accepting ourselves where we are, without judgment. If you can do that for yourself, you will be able to do it for others too. And life will be better for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, GEM! That would be fantastic if you could really trust yourself and feel free! I know you can and will!
    Aspiring Taoist

    ReplyDelete