Friday, September 25, 2009

Dirty Mommy

For the first several years of motherhood, my appearance was very important to me. Maybe it was a holdover from my working-woman self, but every morning, I showered and blow-dried my hair. Every. Morning. Without. Fail. I never even thought there was another way to be. I never really thought about how my appearance looked to other moms...It was just a compulsion to be "put together" before I left the house. But, for the past several months, I haven't had the time to shower and blow-dry my hair each and every (freakin') morning. I started going to the gym on days I don't work, so now, I don't want to shower first. I want to go get stinky dirty grimy sweaty before I bother taking a shower. This means I often leave the house with baggy frumpy not-cute gym clothes on, my greasy hair covered by a hat. And...I have to tell you, I have made a lot more friends and acquaintances in my nasty-dirty state than I ever did when I was clean-and-fresh. It's funny. Apparently there's nothing like a hat and greasy hair to even the playing field, to show the world that you're right there with them, trying to fit it all in...

No comments:

Post a Comment